Monday, May 17, 2010

High school seniors pt. 2

I journaled this morning that this spring I have felt very much tugged in every direction. As a result, I haven't updated this blog as often as I should have. Here is a second part to the previous blog that was written (embarrassingly) last month.

I just returned from a weekend waterski trip to Lake Havasu with this years' high school senior class. This is probably the fifth year we have done this. Here's how this developed... both the high school pastor and I realized that come June students face this incredible transition. They go from years of attending at 9 am in the morning to nothing since we have college group at night (and that's by design). In addition, there was really nothing in place other than a banquet to serve as their last hurrah together in high school. So we decided to have a waterski trip held before they graduate in June, inviting me to come and along (as the cook) with a few of our college leadership.

In the midst of this great weekend of fun and relationships, it really represents their last time together as well introducing me as their new pastor. I only speak to them once but most of it is relational, just getting to know them. I ask for the list of students attending early so that I can start memorizing their names (believe me, that gets hard). When I meet them at the retreat I write down on the sheet of paper a simple fact about them to help me remember. What blows their minds sometimes is that when I hear their first name I already know their last name or when I meet them for the second time and I remember their names. All of this is to help soften the blow of the transition that is rapidly approaching.These people really are the most important people in the church!

But what's most important is this: whether they are going away to school or staying in the area, I want them to see my heart for God and for them. They are not pawns to get to a greater end (like more people to bump numbers up). Rather, they are people, young adults that need someone to shepherd them into a greater relationship with Jesus. I realized early on that credibility is one of the most important factors in a relationship because it leads to trust.

The point of all of this is that if it's true that your freshmen class is the most important class to focus on, then it's important that you as a pastor are intentional and helping with the transition process. The jump from high school to college is threatening enough. If you build small bridges like this to build trust with them, the whole process will feel much easier. Give me your thoughts on this and any ideas that you have tried. I'm sure open to trying different things!

No comments:

Post a Comment